Volendam, a quaint town on the coast of North Holland, is known for its fisherman and beautiful traditional clothing (it was once the harbor for the famous cheese-making city of Edam). In the late 19th and early 20th centuries Volendam was known as a bit of an ‘artists’ retreat,’ inspiring the well-known painters (like Picasso and Renoir) who spent time there. Today, the historical Volendams Museum gives the visitor a feeling for what life was like there a hundred years ago.
Full-sized mannequins wearing traditional clothes engage in everyday activities in rooms modelled after typical Dutch houses of the early 20th century. The rooms (four living rooms and one commercial shop) are modelled after the period between 1815 and 1920. There’s also plenty of original film material and art from many of the artists that visited Volendam. One of the rooms contains an incredible cigar-band mosaic, depicting life in Volendam and made from eleven MILLION cigar bands.
Volendams Museum Tours
What are Volendams Museum hours of operation?
Should I book Volendams Museum tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Volendams Museum 2021?
What's the best way to experience Volendams Museum?
- Vacation Photographer in Volendam
- Volendam & Zaanse Schans Tour: Dutcher than Dutch
- Private Photo Session with a Local Photographer in Volendam
- Private Half-Day Tour to Volendam & Marken Including Dutch Tasting
Things to do near North Holland
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Rhine River
- Things to do in Zaandam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Champagne
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire