National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum)
Housed in a humungous former arsenal built in 1656, the National Maritime Museum(Het Scheepvaartmuseum) reopened in 2011 after extensive reworking and is dedicated to showcasing the importance of Amsterdam’s maritime history. During the 17th-century Golden Age, The Netherlands was one of the richest powers in the world, thanks to its trading wealth and an empire that stretched across the globe. It was a time of great progress in Amsterdam, when the Canal Ring was built and the middle classes grew rich. All this is reflected in interactive and audio-visual displays of model ships, maritime oil paintings, charts, silverware and weaponry; the growth of the fabulously successful Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC) is charted and visitors are whisked on a simulated journey through Amsterdam as a piece of cargo. Two now controversial issues that are dealt with sensitively through thoughtful exhibits are the European slave trade and the whaling industry.
For kids, the highlight of a visit to the National Maritime Museum is undoubtedly the full-size replica of the merchant ship Amsterdam, which foundered in 1749 on a voyage to the East Indies (the present-day Indonesia). The craft is ‘crewed’ by actors who fire cannons, sing sea shanties, tie ropes and even stage a burial at sea.
Browse. Filter. Book
What are National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum) hours of operation?
Should I book National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum) 2020?
What's the best way to experience National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum)?
- Amsterdam Canal Cruise in Classic River Boat With Drinks & Dutch Cheese
- Amsterdam National Maritime Museum Skip-the-line-Ticket
- Amsterdam Canal Cruise in Luxury River Boat - Small Group - from AnneFrank House
- Amsterdam Small-Group, Guided Evening Canal Cruise with Bar on Board
Things to do near Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaandam
- Things to do in Hoorn
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Antwerp
- Things to do in Ghent
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Düsseldorf
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders