Museum Van Loon
The Museum Van Loon is located in a fine mansion overlooking the Keizersgracht canal; it was designed by Adriaen Dortsman in 1672 and the house’s first tenant was Ferdinand Bol, a pupil of Rembrandt. Between 1884 and 1945 it was home to the Van Loon family, who founded the Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC) and were one of the wealthiest families in Amsterdam. Today this is one of the few 17th-century canal-side townhouses in Amsterdam to have retained its original integrity and the elegant double-fronted mansion still stands with its vast proportions intact. It certainly reflected the Van Loon family’s elevated social standing by its sheer size, with grand apartments stuffed with Louis XV furniture, fine porcelain and precious silverware leading on to a procession of yet more ornate rooms. Furnished in the style of the Dutch aristocracy of Golden Age, the walls are smothered with family portraits and the grand staircase is constructed from decorative marble with an ornate brass balustrade. A formal knot garden lies behind the house; beyond that is a coach house built in the style of a colonnaded Greek temple.
Museum Van Loon Tours and Activities
What are Museum Van Loon hours of operation?
Should I book Museum Van Loon tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Museum Van Loon 2021?
What's the best way to experience Museum Van Loon?
- Amsterdam Canal Cruise in Luxury River Boat - Small Group - from AnneFrank House
- Amsterdam Small-Group, Guided Evening Canal Cruise with Bar on Board
- 60 Minute Small Group Tour by Captain Jack
- PRIVATE and SAFE Saloon Boat Ride: Amsterdam Canal Cruise & Unlimited Drinks
Things to do near Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaandam
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Cologne
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders